Job Location: Fabriano (AN)
Overall Purpose of the Role: the Design-to-Cost Manager identifies plans & implements design to cost savings by conducting physical product teardown, pulling material optimization levers, redefining requirements & driving standardization/simplification, collects and analyzes data and information in order to estimate costs associated with the manufacturing of a product.
The position will have the following main responsibilities:
- Determine cost estimate targets during the design and development process, recommending cost effective solutions;
- Identify design-to-cost opportunities in cross-functional collaboration with R&D, Product Management, Quality assurance and Sales/Marketing in a systematic and structured approach;
- Select own and competitor’s products, organize physical teardown/disassembly of these products and allocate most critical parts/highest-cost parts to relevant functional groups;
- Analyze spec/cost choices of own and competitor’s products within each functional group and identify opportunities to reduce cost by changing materials, redefining requirements and standardizing/simplifying;
- Recommend design choices in product development process;
- Prioritize design-to-cost savings potentials by respecting both a bottom-line as well as a top-line perspective, facilitate trade-off decisions between cost savings and perceived customer value;
- Convert those ideas into actionable initiatives with defined cost savings levers, owners, impacts and timelines;
- Implement design-to-cost savings in line with priorities and plan;
- Ensure early and systematic involvement of suppliers to understand feasibility of design changes;
- Monitor overall progress of design-to-cost savings initiatives and identify/solve roadblocks.
Main skills and education requirements:
- Master or Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent;
- 5+ Years professional experience in Purchasing and/or R&D or Engineering and in Design to Cost methodology and tools;
- Preferred global/international business experience;
- Deep knowledge in Project Management tools;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- ERP background – SAP (preferred but not mandatory);
- Language skills: fluent written and spoken English.
An ideal candidate will also have some of the following skills and personal qualifications:
- Strong Team working;
- Analytical thinking and good problem solving abilities;
- Willingness to learn;
- Open-mindedness and flexibility;
- Actively proactive.